The Beach Boys Visit My Autistic Nephew, Brett


The Beach Boys recently blessed my nephew, Brett, with the gift of a lifetime!  Brett is Autistic and non-verbal.  The only thing that calms his soul is music by the Beach Boys, which he listens to from morning to night.  My brother, Mark, takes Brett to as many Beach Boy concerts as he can.  Tara Edwards, a local reporter, caught wind of it and arranged for a backstage visit by a couple of the band members after a concert.  Her Interview with Mark aired on ABC Action News.  I hope it touches your heart as well:, powered by WealthCounsel, recently posted a new article entitled, Disabled Children and Your Estate Plan—What’s Best?  It is perfect timing on the heels of Brett’s special day.  It reads:

“For the parents of disabled children, estate planning is of supreme importance. Without proper parental estate planning, a disabled child who is unable to live independently may be left extraordinarily vulnerable. Below are some of the more common legal considerations that parents of disabled children should make:

First, select a guardian. A guardian is necessary if your child either has not reached the age of majority, or has been adjudged incompetent. In either situation, parents should carefully select the person or institution that will be able to best care for the child. If parents do not make this designation, they suffer the possibility that the court will select a person or institution that the parents would not have selected.

If you are worried that an inheritance will negatively impact your child’s ability to collect public assistance, consider setting up a Special Needs Trust. These trusts, designed for disabled beneficiaries, allow parents to transfer assets to their disabled child without impacting his or her ability to collect public assistance because the inheritance is owned by the trust.

If you plan to set up a Special Needs Trust, begin by calculating how much money your child will need in order to provide the desired level of care for the expected duration of his or her life. Be sure to factor in your child’s anticipated public assistance payments, and provide for emergencies.

If you do not have the resources or are otherwise unwilling to set up a Special Needs Trust, you may wish to disinherit the child. If you leave your disabled child out of your will completely, he or she will presumably continue to receive public assistance. If you are worried that this may upset your child, consider leaving him or her a token gift.”

There are no comments yet. Be the first and leave a response!

Leave a Reply

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?

Trackback URL